Area Information, Hartebeespoort Dam
The name originated from the Kosmos which grows wild in many parts of the Highveld, and in particular on the roads from the nearby major cities. More homes were built over the years, and the style started moving upmarket. It is said that the 'Sail Inn' on the waterfront was a favourite watering hole. Anglo-Boer War battles was around the area and the British built one of the blockhouses on the crest of the range above the village, in view of its strategic position.
Whether you're looking for adventure, culture or quality family time, Hartbeespoort Dam and surrounding areas have everything you could think of for your sun-filled getaway.
For The Sports EnthusiastsThis area has so much to offer for outdoor and adventure lovers. Take a look at the Hennops & Van Gaalens Mountain Biking Trails; abseiling and safari quad biking in Broederstroom, river rafting and speed boating on Hartbeespoort Dam, 4×4 trails in De Wildt and the Hennops Hiking Trail for 2 single day hikes or a combined weekend of walking.
For The FamilyTo make sure everyone is entertained, take your pick of exciting family activities starting with boat cruises and dam tube rides, the Hartbeespoort Dam Aquarium and the Owl Rescue Centre. Take a scenic hot air balloon ride, the Harties Cableway (cable car with breath taking views) or spend a day at Borakalalo Park. You can also decide to visit the Bushbabies Monkey Sanctuary, walk with elephants at the Elephant Sanctuary, pet some cats at the De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre or take a snake course at the Snake and Animal Farm in Harties. If you've run out of activities, take a stroll over to the Harties Market, Welwitschia Country Market or Tangaroa Farm for organic strawberry picking. Yum!
For Cultural ExperienceIf you're looking for fine art, historical sites and boutique products we've got you covered. Why not learn about cheese at Van Gaalen Cheese Factory Harties and Grootplaas De Rust Cheese Academy in Broederstroom, or taste some exquisite pairings at Potstill Brandy & Wine Cellar (at The Windmill). Jasmyn Plaasprodukte (Jasmine Farm Products) is a farm stall stocking products such as preserves, fresh fruit & vegetables, cheeses, rusks, biltong, nuts, dried fruit, honey & homemade meals. Art Galleries such as Jo Roos Studio Gallery, Chris Tugwell Art Gallery (Kosmos) and Edwards Fine Art Gallery do not disappoint with their stunning collections. Lesedi Cultural Village lets guests experience the excitement and warmth of true rural African culture, while the Chameleon Village is the largest indoor crafters market in South Africa where every tourist will find something they love.
For Dining OutThe Windmill is an indoor / outdoor restaurant and food store set in a Dutch-style windmill and caters to the whole family. Die Ou Pastorie was born in an authentic 1880's pastoral home where it exudes ambiance and charm with lovely, hearty menu choices. Skye Bistro provides a fine dining experience in an equestrian estate with breakfast, lunch and 5 course dinners. Silver Orange Bistro can be found amongst the Altyd Mooi citrus farm outside Hartbeespoort and has been awarded numerous times for its glamorous dishes and flair.
AttractionsShopping Centres, Chameleon Village, Magaliesburg, Pecanwood Golf Course, Snake and Animal Park, Party Boat, Elephant Sanctuary, Aerial Cableway, Anna van Dyk Cheetah Center, Horse Trails Safaris
- Red Ivory - Red Ivory is situated on a beautiful 400 acre private Game Reserve at Hartbeespoort Dam.
Less than an hours drive from Pretoria and Johannesburg it offers a magical mixture of contemporary design, sumptuous cuisine and breathtaking views. With large glass windows in all the suites and venue areas, interiors and exteriors merge introducing emotion, energy, texture and taste.
- Green Leaves - Nestled in the Magalies Mountains on the banks of the Magalies River, 40 minutes from Johannesburg & Pretoria rests Green Leaves. We offer unforgettable weddings, comfortable accommodation, productive conferences and special events. Our gracious French style architecture opens onto picturesque gardens, landscaped and manicured all year round to ensure the perfect country setting.
- Leopard Lodge - Leopard Lodge is your ultimate wedding venue for weddings of up to 200 guests. Our team of wedding coordinators pride themselves in service excellence and will do all that they can to make your wedding day the most memorable ever.
- Ou Pastorie - Die Ou Pastorie is an ideal venue for bespoke, tailor-made functions. We provide boutique catering, decor and entertainment options for a range of specialised eventing - including weddings, birthdays, christenings, bridal showers, stork parties and intimate corporate conferencing. Please enquire with us to learn more about how we can help you design your dream function.
- Amazingwe - Tying the knot in the very near future, and looking for the ideal location, close to the city, but encompassing an intimate, truly-African feel? Look no further.